Video: Jerry Hicks – action not words will beat cuts

In the fourth of our Radical Voices series, Anticapitalist Initiative spoke to Jerry Hicks, who is currently standing for general secretary of Unite, Britain’s biggest union. He gives us his views on the rise of racism, UKIP, Ken Loach’s recent call for a new party of the left, and most of all, how he will transform Britain’s biggest union and give it back to the members.

Jerry worked at the Rolls Royce car plant and convenor for Amicus before being victimised, sacked and blacklisted for trade union activity. He was a leading supporter of the Sparks rank and file campaign in the union.

7 Comments

1. Red Arnie
    March 8, 2013 at 9:17 am · Reply

This video is private????!!!

• Luke Cooper
      March 8, 2013 at 11:07 am · Reply

Should be sorted out now. Sorry we forgot to flick the switch on you tube

2. ozzy
    March 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm · Reply

jerry was the aeeu then amicus convenor of the rolls royce aerospace test area in Bristol…… think aircraft jet engines not rolls royce luxury cars

3. Len McCluskey
    March 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm · Reply

Damn this is good. They told me this Man was not electable because he is un-employed and blacklisted and not as rich as me.
    “I want my Mummy”…..

4. John Stone
    March 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm · Reply

Brilliant Video, I hope members will watch this and use their vote. 1.5 million of you have the chance to change our Union and win it back for members.
    Well done Jerry Hicks, my mind is made up.

5. Sharon Williams
    March 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm · Reply

He talked about the things I care about and seems to understand how to fix them. I hope he will get more Women involved at the top of the Union too. Straight talking too no airs and graces, reminded me of strong Union Men like Bob Crow, Arthur Scargill and Jack Jones. Good luck.

6. John Grimshaw
    March 20, 2013 at 9:33 am · Reply

Who said this in his election address? Check out the political level. Also the fall out from the SWP crisis.

“I have a clear positive agenda. My opponent in this election has no such plan, merely a wish list of gestures which would wreck our union and leave our members defenceless.

Crucially he’s played no role whatsoever in our union at any level for several years. He is a political opportunist relying on the support of the discredited Socialist Workers Party. We must not allow a small political clique to hijack our union.

This not scaremongering for votes, it’s the truth.

Unite belongs to its members and, under my leadership, that’s the way it will stay!”